Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Food.

So, why in the WORLD did it take me so long to learn to cook?

There was a time, way back in the day, when I made 4 meals. Easy, simple things but don't ask for much more. And they were really just different versions of each other: Tacos, Pizza, Lasagna, and spaghetti. That was it. Sure, I could fancy up my tacos by making them into...waitforit...Nachos! Nacho night is a wild night...

But it was a sad time. Sad, sad. Thankfully my husband is an excellent cook. There are still certain things I don't make because he makes them way bettttter.

So, once we decided that I would stay home, I realized maybe I should figure out the whole kitchen thing. So I got to work figuring out how to expand my vast culinary skill set. Josh isn't vocal about what he likes and he is incredibly hard to read, but so far I've gotten 3 recipes that he says are 'good', which in josh talk is like 'YES THIS IS AWESOME!' Anywhooo..

Enter the Crock Pot..
I think this is chili. Yes, it has to be chili...
I never knew how easy slow cooking was. I mean yeah everyone was like 'just throw it in there and leave it alone for like 6 hours' But I was cautious and skeptical. Well stupid me! Because the slow cooker is where its at. 

One of our favorite meals is Salsa Chicken in the crock pot. And the best part is it is super easy!



This one has some added ingredients, I usually make it with chicken and salsa. Red or green tastes equally delish. You can add onion, peppers, taco or fajita seasoning, and chicken broth. But 90% of the time it is salsa and chicken, on low 6 hours and it smells like happy taco land while it cooks. We serve it with tortillas or just crushed tortilla chips in a bowl like a soup. We have served it over quesadillas with black beans and caramelized onions too, like this!

I've learned to make roast and pepper steak in the crock pot too. And I've stepped up my taco game with oven tacos, which are probably the best version of tacos anywhere EVER. It keeps the shell from breaking all over. Super good. Super, duper good.

Obviously, we still love the staples we started on (see above) and pizza will never not be in the rotation.  Josh and I are in two firm opposite camps when it comes to crust: I live in a world of thick, buttery deep dish; while he resides over there in [flimsy crap, i mean whaaa] thin crust land. I usually lose this battle, mostly because hey pizza is pizza so yum!, and because thin crust has to be better for you a little bit when you realize you fold butter into you crust when making deep dish.. But who cares sometimes, right?!?! Well I won the other day and 

BAM! Deep dish, chicago style, buttery, flakey goodness! and a complimentary cheese bread for the boys! It was awesome. Like the best. I followed this recipe for the dough and just topped it with cheese and pepperoni that was on hand and I added a little garlic salt to the bottom of my pan before putting the dough in. It was good. Like really good. As in I might be phoning it in tonight for pizza night!

As I am sure most people know, it is winter out still, and this week another cold snap hit us [like -digits and crazy winds] so last night I made Katrina's potato soup! It is a soup that eats like a meal. We topped ours with cheese, croutons, and bacon! Holy crap so yum! It is a hearty soup that is so easy and delicious. I could eat it every day, but I shouldn't because its so filling!

I really learned to love cooking, the chopping, the sauteing, all of it. I have a few more recipes I've jotted down to try. I love that it helps me feel like I am contributing to my family! It is really cathartic for me seeing everything come together and when it tastes good too, I feel like a little proud peacock strutting around like I've missed my calling because I can follow directions. Watch out top chef, here I come..


No comments:

Post a Comment